in 1866, Benjamin Lewis died of injuries inflicted by Bloody Bill
Anderson, a guerilla who rode with Quantrell, and whose followers
included Frank & Jesse James. Anderson had come to the Lewis
mansion, "Glen Eden," to collect a $6,000 reward offered
by Lewis for Bloody Bill, Dead or Alive. Anderson tortured Lewis
until he met his demands.
his will, Benjamin Lewis set aside $10,000 for a public library
to be regulated by the Methodist Episcopalian Church. The building
was built in 1866, at the cost of $26,000.
ground floor of the building was originally used as a lecture
hall until the advent of radio and television. It also served
as the first site of Lewis College, which opened in 1867 with
140 students. The college later moved to a larger building, but
eventually closed its doors in 1891. The second floor of the library
is essentially the same as it was at the time of Lewis College's
the years, the lower floor has been used to roll bandages for
World War II, hosted parties, receptions, plays and elections
as Glasgow's Community Center, and celebrated the Glasgow High
School Graduations on the main stage. The stage is now home to
the Carrie Wachter Children's Reading Room, in honor of Ms. Wachter,
who retired in 1991 following 40 years of service as the librarian.